UNCROSSED


"DELetio" (Self-produced; 2002)

Reviewed by Christopher J. Kelter

Generally speaking, my experience with heavy metal bands from Russia has been less than stellar. Most are power metal wannabes that have no business being in that crowded and often under-performing scene. About the only I band from Russia that I care about is black metal tinged Mental Home – and the musical world hasn’t heard from them in a long time.

Along comes Uncrossed who claim to play technical metal. But I still didn’t know what to expect or how disappointed I might be if Uncrossed managed to under-whelm me. But I liked what I heard right from the get-go. On “DELetio” Uncrossed merge many musical sounds and styles in a progressive way that defies convention.

Uncrossed sound like Candiria to some extent – especially in the vocal department. However, Uncrossed don’t lean as heavily on hip-hop or jazz like Candiria. I find “DELetio” to be very interesting and comforting as it’s been a while since I’ve heard a band that could pull off the kind of wide-ranging sounds that seemed to come naturally only to Candiria. Furthermore, Uncrossed mix mid-era Rush-like keyboard washes amidst the percussive drumming for a dichotomy that works.

Since Rough Edge received this particular CD recently (it is March 2006 as I write this) that I can only assume that the band is taking their time writing their newest material. I, for one, am interested in hearing what they come up with next.

“DELetio” was produced by Michael Astakhov, Oleg Maxakov, and Uncrossed. The production is crystal clear and accentuates the musical balance that Uncrossed offer.

Uncrossed: Alexey Trubatcheyev on vocals, Michael Medvedev on guitars, Sergey Astakhov on keyboards and samplers, Alexey Bolotov on bass, and Ilya Kljutchinsky on drums. 

For more information visit http://www.uncrossed.ru


"DELetio" (Self-produced; 2002)

Reviewed by Snidermann

I know absolutely nothing about Uncrossed and their CD "DELetio." All I have is the music, which, in itself, may be enough.

"DELetio" is a mix of rock, heavy metal and instrumental jazz. I know that sounds like a weird combination, but Uncrossed makes it happen. Most of the lyrics are apparently in Russian which, of course, I cannot understand. 

As far as the music is concerned, I would say that I liked about 70% of it but that the other 30% was boring, jazzy, and overloaded with keyboards. When the band integrated jazz with the metal, it almost worked, but, overall, I found the combination unsettling and not very entertaining. 

I applaud the endeavor. It takes Imagination to try a metal/jazz infusing and Uncrossed almost makes it work with "DELetio." 

Uncrossed: Alexey Trubatcheyev on vocals, Michael Medvedev on guitars, Sergey Astakhov on keyboards and samplers, Alexey Bolotov on bass, and Ilya Kljutchinsky on drums. 

For more information visit http://www.uncrossed.ru


Rating Guide:

  A classic. This record will kick your ass.

Killer. Not a classic but it will rock your world.

So-so. You've heard better.

Pretty bad. Might make a nice coaster.

Self explanatory. Just the sight of the cover makes you wanna hurl.


Back to CD Reviews Home

Back to RoughEdge.com Home

Copyright © 2006 by R. Scott Bolton. All rights reserved.
Revised: 13 Mar 2016 12:03:43 -0500.