"Cursed: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (Wind-up Records)
Reviewed by R. Scott Bolton
A quick glance at the tracklisting of the soundtrack to the Wes Craven horror film probably won't find Rough Edge readers finding many of their favorite bands. There's a focus on alternative here that might very well turn many away.
That being said, there's still some fine music here, starting with Bowling for Soup's "Lil' Red Riding Hood" and "You'll Never Catch Me" from Smashmouth's Steve Harwell. Things do a bit awry starting at Track 6, with a dull, run-of-the-mill tune from Alkaline Trio, and running through Track 12, Whodini's "Freaks Come Out." There's just too much techno noise in those seven tracks for my taste. Seven Wiser comes to the rescue with the powerful second-to-last track, "Sick," while MBD closes the whole thing out with the grinding, growling "Let Me Out" and its killer drums.
The "Cursed" soundtrack probably worked better with the images from the film supporting it, but it's not a bad collection of alternative-edged tunes and bands on its own.
1. "Lil' Red Riding Hood" - Bowling for Soup
2. "Better Now" - Collective Soul
3. "Are You Ready" - Three Days Grace
4. "You'll Never Catch Me" - Steve Harwell
5. "Stadium Parking Lot" - Apollo 440
6. "Fine Without You" - Alkaline Trio
7. "Spirits" - Junkie XL
8. "This Is A Forgery" - Dashboard Confessional
9. "Still Need Your Love" - Reno
10. "If You Don't Jump (You Are English)" - gusgus
11. "Bound Too Long" - The Crystal Method
12. "Freaks Come Out At Night" - Whodini
13. "Sick" - Seven Wiser
14. "Let Me Out" - MBD
A classic. This record will kick your ass.
Killer. Not a classic but it will rock your world.
So-so. You've heard better.
Pretty bad. Might make a nice coaster.
Self explanatory. Just the sight of the cover makes you wanna hurl.
Back to CD Reviews Home
Back to RoughEdge.com Home
Copyright © 2006 by R. Scott Bolton. All rights
Revised: 04 Oct 2018 19:54:49 -0400.