"A Fistful of Rock & Roll Volume 8" (Victory Records; 2002)
Reviewed by R. Scott Bolton
Compilation CDs are great when it comes to finding new bands that play the type of rock'n'roll you want to hear. Compilation CDs are difficult to review because my cup of tea may not be the same as yours.
There are 18 tracks on this CD, most of them leaning toward the punk rock sound but some that could be considered hard rock, heavy metal, etc. The good news is that all 18 tracks are listenable; the bad news that many of the tracks could be interchangeable. Still, you get a good idea of what bands you've never heard of sound like and whether or not you'll want to go out and buy any more of their music on your own. The record company's betting you will and I tend to agree.
Perhaps the best thing about the CD, however, are the great band names. Alongside such boring band names as Datsun, Hammerlock and Strutter (isn't that a KISS tribute band?) are such great band names as Clit Cops, Hell Caminos, Throttlerod and Punk Rock Vatos.
Actually, great band names are the second best thing. The first best is that the CD, which clocks in at over 50 minutes, is only $8.99 or so. A cheap way to find new bands that you'll probably like.
Included on "A Fistful of Rock'n'Roll
Volume 8" are:
1. Teenage Frames - "Drug Power"
2. Datsun - "Beauty & the Beast"
3. Hammerlock - "Media Sucker"
4. Mensen - "Wempley"
5. Dead City Rebels - "Fifty Bucks"
6. Clit Cops - "Lose Control"
7. Space Cowboys - "Devilís Move"
8. White Trash Debutantes - "Punk Rock Republican"
9. Hell Caminos - "Debuggin'"
10. Napoleon Blown Aparts - "Do You Like My Haircut?"
11. Texas Terri & The Stiff Ones - "King & I"
12. Lord High Fixers - "The Ongoing Saga of the Side Show Bob Syndrome"
13. Strutter - "Nancy's Boots"
14. Nebula - "Come Down"
15. River Boat Gamblers - "Part Time/Full Time"
16. Throttlerod - "Wife Beater"
17. Punk Rock Vatos - "Matinee Lady"
18. Swig - "Mind"
A classic. This record will kick your ass.
Killer. Not a classic but it will rock your world.
So-so. You've heard better.
Pretty bad. Might make a nice coaster.
Self explanatory. Just the sight of the cover makes you wanna hurl.
Back to CD Reviews Page
Back to RoughEdge.com home page
Copyright © 2003 by R. Scott Bolton. All rights
Revised: 08 Jan 2016 11:33:10 -0500.